My daughter and I are in a football survivor pool. For those of you not in the know – survivor pool is the greatest invention for gambler wannabees during football season. A survivor pool doesn’t require much skill.
I don’t need to spend the time and energy that a fantasy football team requires. It’s low commitment, loads of fun, and, simple. Here’s all I have to do each week:
- I look at all the multiple football games being played that week.
- I pick out one game
- Then I pick the winner of that game.
- If I win, I advance to the next week where I start all over again. Pick any team and then pick a winner.
- Here’s the catch though. I can never pick my winning team again.
So, my daughter and her husband tell me, there are a variety of schools of thought on picking winners
- Go strong at the beginning and go for a guarantee of a great team.
- Some players, however, opt to leave their strongest teams until the end.
I play differently. As an Audubon nature lover, my picks are all focused on teams that are named after birds. As I have told you earlier in this blog, I’m not good with statistics and only passed in college because I was dating the instructor’s buddy.
Here are my current results. So far my bird teams haven’t let me down.
- Week One, I chose the Seahawks and they won.
- Week Two, I abandoned Jerome the Great and Good’s NY Giants, and chose the Cardinals. (I love the way cardinals feed their young and my granddaughter lives in Arizona. Makes perfect sense, don’t you think?)Yes. The Cardinals won.
- Week Three, I picked the Eagles. Once when I picked up a piece of litter from a mucky pond, a bald eagle swooped over my head in salute, and I didn’t even think anyone was watching.
This Week Four, I’m torn between the Ravens and the Falcons? What to do? What to do? Got it! I love crabs, both the succulent soft shell ones and the hammer ‘em open hard shells. Baltimore’s got them both,
As the sun sets and our midnight dreary approaches, I’m wondering if Jerome the Great and Good is going to roll his eyes again at my weird team picks. The answer to that philosophical question is” Nevermore, nevermore”… because I keep winning.
Ravens it will be!