My children, husband, relatives, friends and complete strangers say I am a compulsive worrier and control freak.
But, when you live in a house surrounded by trees, you tend to worry when there are reports of 15 mph winds with gusts up to 45 mph. You like to prepare for disaster ahead of time.
Here are some of my recommendations.
If a tree falls on your house, you might have to go outside and be seen. With this cold weather, no one has actually seen you for weeks, and some folks are even wondering if you ever really existed. So dress appropriately for the moment you hear the crack of the branches, and the tree starts falling onto your roof and into your bedroom.
Plan your sleep apparel for the evening storm:
- Scratch the pink, blue and white pajama bottoms with the ripped seams that you usually wear accompanied by the bleach stained red tee shirt top.
- Instead, select appropriate I-have-to-run-out-of-the-house-likety-split sleepwear. May I suggest you retire to your boudoir in simple black sweats, along with a gray turtle neck (sans bleach stains) top. Socks and shoes are always a nice touch. Robes and slippers are only recommended for size two’s with fresh pedicures.
If, after the tree falls, you have to be carried out of your house you might also want to make provisions for the week that will follow.
Plan food for the events.
- Have plenty of nourishing, yet suitable for a crowd casserole dishes just waiting to be microwaved in your fridge. It is important to prepare these dishes from scratch, so that people will compare you to Martha Stewart during their tributes. Soups are lovely, sustaining, and I highly recommend Portuguese Caldo Verde for feeding a large crowd.
- My late Aunt Shirley also specialized in her “mourning meatballs” (with peppers and onions) which she put in a large vat for our family.
While you might want to run around and straighten your house as the winds whip up, it is highly recommended that you put your house in order ahead of time.
- Clean bathrooms; hang fresh towels
- Organize drawers and closets by color, season, event and in the case of some people, current size
Some last minute bedtime preparations must still be performed at the last minute.
- Floss and brush
- Put some fresh candy in the candy dish on the end table in the living room.
Then, go to bed, sleep well, and let the wind howl.